Sand Springs isn’t very big in comparison to Tulsa, even though it spread over two counties: Osage and Tulsa. In 2010, the population was just over 18,000. For a town that developed from being a place for orphans and widows, the founder, Charles Page, would be surprised. He had envisioned Sand Springs being a model for other cities in Oklahoma, and the 4 zip code area of 74060, 74063, 74107, 74127, have succeeded in doing just that.
Mr. Page purchased 160 acres so that he could build a structure to house orphans and widows. The philanthropist started with tent housing that held 27 children that were displaced after the Hook & Anchor Orphanage abandoned them. Soon a frame building was built to hold 50 children and he would go on to offer free land for anybody that would move on the land just west of the children’s housing.
Businesses were offered $20,000 and free utilities to relocate to the area and by 1911, he had created the Sand Springs Railway. This would be an interurban connection from Sand Springs to Tulsa. By 1911, the town was laid out and the city incorporated in 1912. The population was at 400 at that time.
In 1911, the Sand Springs Power Plant was built by Page at what is now Main Street and Morrow Road with the intentions of creating an industrial development. Until 1947, that would be the only source of power for Sand Springs.
Early manufacturing businesses that came to Sand Springs were Commander Mills, Hubbard & Kelley Lamp & Chimney, and Kerr Glass Manufacturing. In addition to Sinclair Prairie Refining and Southwest Box Company.
Today, the home built by Charles Page years ago, still stands today and welcomes single mothers with 2 or more kids. Also, today, there are more people and many, if not all, have cars. But not any different than back then, they too need to watch their budget and find the cheapest auto insurance that keeps them compliant with the law and their budgets.